Friday, May 28, 2010

Comedy with sting?


Dawn French interviews John Cleese

Dawn French: Do you think men are more cruel when it comes to humour?

John Cleese: I think men are a bit more armoured when it comes to humour. I mean, I think we spend a lot of time trying to laugh at things we're scared of.

Parky interviews Dawn French

Parkinson: Is there a difference between male humour and female humour?

Dawn French: Well, I've just done a series of documentaries called Boys Who Do Comedy and, to be honest, I thought I was going to find a big difference. I've never quite known, but I thought I would find some sort of latent thing that would be the key. And in fact I don't think there's any difference whatsoever. I think the only difference is the way that male comedians approach the job. They actually regard it as a possible career. Steve Coogan told me that in the sixth form he was thinking that it might be a possible career for himself and I don't think any of the women approached it like that at all.

No comments: