Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vikram Seth writes the sequel to A Suitable Boy


I spent the most part of my fourteenth year reading A Suitable Boy. I think this was the book that made me wish I was Indian. At the time, I tried learning Hindi via friends and made all my friends in the hostel call me 'Chattopadhyay', after a character in the novel (they settled for 'Chatto' for short).
A Suitable Girl will see Lata, the 19-year-old heroine of A Suitable Boy, who suffered the efforts of her mother attempting to find her a suitable husband during the first book, now a grandmother, searching for the right match for her grandson. To be published in the autumn of 2013, publisher Penguin promised that Seth would "bring the action of the narrative up to the present day, encompassing some of the enormous social and economic changes India has undergone in the last 60 years".

No comments: