Thursday, May 7, 2009

This is not an art review

When I see the name Lindy Lee, I think 'photocopies' because of works like these.

But her current show at Roslyn Oxley9 has no such thing. Instead, there are lots of works on paper where she had burnt holes in the paper. (I couldn't help noticing the marketing device on the price list: she lists 'fire' as one of the materials in the descriptions of the works; the exhibition blurb links fire to Zen philosophy and dragon lore.)

There are also bronze works attached to the wall. She had flung molten bronze onto the floor - the way Max Gimblett would fling paint, I suppose, after much meditation - and cooled them.

To be honest, I don't buy the blurb. It says, "The mark that results encapsulates the totality of the universe – the sum of all conditions, which underlie the creation of ‘this’ moment". It's a little far-reaching for the work.

That said, I kinda like the show. It's not interesting, but it is comforting, somehow, the way the interior of an old church would seem comforting to an atheist. I'm not sure if the work itself believes in order, maybe not, but the marks are very ordered and there is a pristine quality to the show.









No comments: