Saturday, December 29, 2007

Gila-Buku

Now that the pleasant lull between the old and new is upon us, I am stocking up with words. That is to say, I'm rediscoverng the luxury of buying books.

It is no coincidence that this hunger for new words has come during the annual Times warehouse booksale (which was surprisingly quiet, by the way; where were the crowds fighting it out for the RM12 Orhan Pamuks and Hari Kunzrus?).

I can't wait to soak all this in and find inspiration for new words of my own. I am itching to write again! I always feel this itch when I'm in Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps it's because there is so much here that desperately needs articulating?

The following is my list of acquisitions after a trip to the booksale and also to Silverfish's new digs. Some I want to give away, some I am just curious about because the authors sound familiar.

The Brooklyn Follies, Paul Auster (Betta raves about him, so I thought I'd try it out, but then again I saw Auster's mug on the back cover and I suspect her enthusiasm is half lust.)

Upanishads, T.M.P Mahadevan (I wonder if I have got the best translation...)

Eight Plays, Huzir Sulaiman

If Only, Shahril Nizam (I had the pleasure of meeting the author for the first time today at Readings @ Sek San)

White Rajah, Nigel Barley (Can't wait to get my teeth into this. Looks like a well-written bio of James Brooke)

Tanah Tujuh, Antares

As She Climbed Across The Table, Jonathan Lethem

The Assault On Reason, Al Gore

No comments: